A Festival for the Whole Family – Filled with Hands-On Activities, Music, Food, Animals and Storytelling
Since 2010, Kids’ Greenfest has provided child-centered, hands-on activities from sustainability experts and presenters who share practical, easy methods for changes everyone can make. Important areas focused on are:
- renewable energy
- energy conservation
- wildlife conservation
- locally-made or grown products
“While many green expos are focused on products and are geared towards adults, our goal is to empower children through educational activities that help them see practical changes they can make with their families. Sustainability is a journey for each of us. Who better to help lead us on this journey than our children?” – NCCL Faculty
The day’s events and activities typically include:
- Musical performances – Top-notch performers get kids singing and dancing while thinking positive about wellness, the environment and community.
- Animal presentations – Experts from local organizations help kids understand the vital role animals and insects play to keep our environment in balance.
- Live Radio Broadcast – Hear WJBR personalities and J. Bear give big shout outs and hugs.
- Storytelling – Professional storytellers capture kids’ imaginations with stories about nature and our world community.
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) – Farmers are on hand to help kids learn how their community and their food are connected.
- Hands-on Activities – Different every year, expect a host of good-natured activities that have included plant necklaces, t-shirt bags, aluminum can bird feeders and recycled thank you cards.
- Energy Educators – Experts fill kids in on the latest developments in renewable energy and new ways to save energy at home.
- Green Robotics – Kids explore ways robots might one day be used to help the environment.
- NCCL Teacher and Student Led Activities – Kids and families can find out how our school incorporates environmental thoughtfulness into our curriculum and everyday practices.
- And much, much more.
Awesome Raffle Prizes Include:
One Free Week of Day Camp at Camp Saginaw (a $500 value)
Free Yoga Classes
Free Passes to the Delaware Children’s Museum
Gift Certificates to Local Restaurants
Past performers and presenters have included (to name just a few):
- Nature Jams
- Ashland Nature Center
- Delaware Museum of Natural History
- Delaware Environmental Institute
- Bill Wood Storyteller
- Newark Bike Project
- Tri-State Bird Rescue
- CMI Solar Electric
- Delaware Department of Agriculture
- Colchester CSA
- Fair Weather Farm at Fairhill, CSA
- Sassafras Environmental Education Center
- UD 4H
Exclusive NCCL School Featured Activities Include
Kids can bring gently used books to trade for more books.
This is a fun and smart way to recycle.
* * *
NCCL’s OWN SMOOTHIE BIKE
A hit every year! People can’t wait to hop on our blender-bike
and pedal their way to a refreshing fruit smoothie!
* * *